DoD Cyber Scholarship Program (CySP)
We are now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Scholarship Program (CySP).
The U.S. Department of Defense will provide undergraduate and graduate students selected as Cyber Scholars with a full scholarship including the following benefits:
- Full cost of tuition
- Required fees (including health care)
- Books (for required courses only)
- Stipend of $25,000 for undergraduate students and $30,000 for graduate (Master's/PhD) students.
- Internship opportunities
- Guaranteed employment with a DoD agency upon graduation (contingent upon eligibility to obtain a clearance)
- Begin security clearance processing while being a student
Students falling into one of the following categories may apply:
- Juniors, Seniors pursuing a bachelor's degree (Sophomore's promoting to a Junior in Fall 2021 are eligible to apply)
- Students in their first or second year of a master's degree
- Students pursuing doctoral degrees.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- 18 years of age or older
- Citizen of the United States at the time of application
- Enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) at Georgia State University for the 2021-2022 academic year
- Pursuing a course of study and/or have a declared major in one of the scientific, technical, or managerial disciplines related to cyber or with a concentration in cybersecurity
- Have a 3.2 GPA (undergraduate) or a 3.5 GPA (graduate)
- Be able to obtain a security clearance (not required to obtain security clearance before applying)
- Agree to work for the DoD, after graduation, as a civilian employee for one calendar year for each academic year for which financial assistance (scholarship) is received
Application & Deadline
To submit an application, compile all the required documents, in the order indicated below, into a single PDF file and e-mail it to Dr. Takabi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Name the file LASTNAME_FirstName_Georgia_State_University.PDF, and include:
- The completed DoD CySP New Student Application (fill out and sign Attachment D). The form must be electronically filled out. Hand-written applications will not be accepted.
- Download Attachment D: New Student Application (10 pages)
- Official Transcripts (scanned from an official hardcopy) from all colleges and universities attended.
- Resume (2 pages): download and use the DoD CySP Resume Template.
- Separate sheet highlighting recognitions, honors and awards (see instructions on page 5 of Attachment D).
- Two Letters of Reference from persons knowledgeable of your potential for successful learning, as well as your knowledge and ability. At least one of these letters must be from a current faculty member (or a most current faculty member), and the second letter may be from either a current or former faculty member, or a current or former employer. See page 5 of Attachment D for instructions about the content of Letters of Reference.
- Competency Statement (see instructions on page 6 of Attachment D).
In addition to the above electronic documents, applicants must deliver original paper transcripts in their sealed envelopes to the Department of Computer Science, 25 Park Place NE, Room 720, Atlanta, GA 30303, either by mail (recommended) or in person (exact dates and times will be announced in early January). The Department of Defense needs to verify that the transcripts are not counterfeit. We recommend that applicants obtain multiple copies of their transcripts. They can deliver a sealed copy to us and use another copy to scan it for inclusion in the PDF document.
The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2021, but we encourage students to submit their applications as early as possible to receive feedback from us and increase their chances of being selected for the scholarship.